Changes in social habits, drink-drive restrictions and the cost of a night out – as well as other factors – have all seen a number of once-popular watering holes take on a new existence.
The Three Crowns in Eign Gate has become an amusement arcade, the Tabard in Commercial Street is now a gift shop after previously housing Starbucks, while the Gamecock in Holme Lacy Road and the Buckingham in Whitecross Road are now a Tesco Express.
The Tabard in Commercial Street – now a gift shop
The Gamecock in Holme Lacy Road, Hinton, Hereford
And those are just some of the pubs which have been taken over by a new life.
The Salmon, on Eign Road, has evolved into a nursery while the Pippin, once a popular haunt for lunchtime meetings in the city, has now long vanished from Widemarsh Street.
Now a nursery – once The Salmon
Belmont Roundabout, one of the principal gateways to the city, once had a drinking establishment at every corner.
The Welsh Club still thrives; however, the Treacle Mine, once the Crown, is now a Pizza Hut delivery site.
The Ship Inn, once a hugely successful business, sits forlornly and boarded up while the Greyhound Dog has long since vanished in the redevelopment of the roundabout.
So take a look below at our list of the 93 lost pubs and share your memories.
There may be others – if so tell us.
What was your favourite and why? Let us know at email@example.com Some of the pubs which have vanished in Hereford City alone since the 1850s:
What are your thoughts?
You can send a letter to the editor to have your say by clicking here .
Letters should not exceed 250 words and local issues take precedence.
1. Anglers Inn, Union Street
2. Anchor and Can, Hinton Road
3. Antelope, Barton Road
4. Bakers Arms, Bath Street
5. Barrel Inn, Eign Road
6. Barton Tavern, Barton Road(below)
7. Bell Vue, Eign Road
8. Bell Inn, Gwynne Street
9. Belmont Inn, Belmont Road
10. Black Swan, Widemarsh Street
11. Booth Hall, Hereford
12. Bridge Inn, College Estate
13. British Oak/ Nell Gwynne, Catherine Street(above)
14. Buckingham, Whitecross Road – every little helps..(below)
15. Butchers Arms, Berrington Street
16. Cambrian, Whitecross Road
17. Carrick Head, Broad Street
18. Castle Inn, Stonebow Road
19. Coach and Horses, Commercial Street
20. Cotterell Arms, Cotterell Street (below)
21. Crown and Sceptre, Bye Street
22. David Garrick, St Peter’s Street
23. Dukes Head, St Martin’s Street
24. Elephant and Castle, St Peter’s Street
25. Essex Arms, Widemarsh Street(below)
26. Exchange, Broad Street
27. Farriers Arms, Catherine Street
28. Fiveways, Commercial Square
29. Gamecock, Holme Lacy Road (above)
30. Gardeners Arms, Church Street
31. Globe Inn, Newmarket Street
32. Gloucester House, Berrington Street
33. Golden Cross, Maylor Street
34. Golden Lion, Aubrey Street
35. Greyhound, Eign Street
36. Greyhound Dog, Belmont Roundabout
37. Great Western, Commercial Road
38. Half Moon, Eign Street
39. Heart of Oak, Newtown Road.
41. Maidenhead, Eign Street(above)
42. Midland Inn, Plough Lane
43. Millbrook Tavern, Millbrook Street
44. Moorfields, Moorfield St
45. Mitre, Broad Street(below)
46. Nags Head, Broad Street
47. Nelson, West Street
48. New Inn, Widemarsh Street
49. Newmarket, Hereford
50. Newtown Inn, Newtown Road
51. No 5, Widemarsh Street
52. No 10, Widemarsh Street
53. Packhorse, Belmont Road
55. Pineapple, Widemarsh Street
55. Pippin, Widemarsh Street
56. Plough, Aubrey Street
57. Plough, Broad Street
58. Prince of Wales, Eign Street
59. Punch Bowl, West Street
60. Racehorse/ Entertainer, Newtown Road
61. Railway Bell, Blueschool Street
62. Raven Hotel, Widemarsh Street
63. Red Streaked Tree, Maylords Lane
64. Red Lion, Eign Street
65. Royal George, Widemarsh Street
66. Royal Oak, Barton Road
67. Royal Standard, Bewell Street
68. Rummer Tavern, Bewell Street
69. Salmon, Eign Road(below)
70. Sawyers Rest, Burcott Road
71. Seven Stars, Eign Street
72. Ship Inn, St Owen’s Street
73. Ship Inn, Belmont Roundabout(below)
74. Spread Eagle, King Street
75. Sun Inn, St Owen’s Street(above)
76. Sun Tavern, St Peter’s Street
77. Tabard, Commercial Street(below)
78. Three Crowns, Eign Gate
79, Treacle Mine, St Martin’s Street
80. Victoria Hotel, Widemarsh Street
81. Victoria Inn, Ross Road
82. Victoria Vaults, Eign Street
83. Vine Inn, Blueschool Street
84. Watermans Arms, St Martin’s Street
85. Weavers Arms, Bewell Street
86. West End Vaults, Eign Street
87. Whalebone, Eign Road
88. Wheatsheaf, Newmarket Street
89. White Hart, Broad Street
90. White Horse, Union Street
91. White House, Whittern Way
92. White Lion, Maylord Street
93. Woolpack, St Nicholas Street